Survey 123 and survey grade GPS

02-21-2020 07:26 AM
RobertGeitner
New Contributor III

It has been brought to my attention that our surveying field staff who require high accuracy location capture would like to implement Survey123 in their workflows. I was wondering if you have any information I could provide my field surveyors regarding Survey123 pairing with survey grade GPS. I've read a fewGeoNet conversations, and reviewed a lot of Trimble blogs, but I am not an experienced surveyor so I am not familiar with Trimble Access and Trimble Business Center so if you know of anyone who has worked with that software and weather it would be compatible with Survey123 any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

You can find more information about using Survey123 with high-accuracy receivers hereUse a high-accuracy receiver—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation, including which receivers are currently supported.

Are you using iOS or Android devices for your field workers? The reason this is important is that there are some receivers that are currently only supported on certain platforms due to the vendors firmware.

I see you mention Trimble in your post, what model Trimble devices do you have? Currently on Android, the following devices are support:Trimble R1, R2, R8s, and R10. You can find more information in the above link in the Survey123 documentation.

As for iOS, with the latest released version 3.7 of Survey123, Trimble is not supported on iOS. However, in the upcoming 3.9 release to be available in April 2020, we will have added support for the Trimble R1. Note this requires a firmware update to your Trimble device to the latest version which was just released by Trimble. In coming months we also hope to add support for the Trimble R2 and other devices, made possible as Trimble updates and provides support via their firmware for those receivers for iOS. We currently have the 3.9 iOS and Android builds available in theEarly Adopter Community, if you would like to test out support with your devices and receivers using the latest builds.

Regards,

Phil.

0Kudos
KeanMcDermott
New Contributor II

Hello Philip-Wilson,

I see your response here and was curious if ESRI had developed the ability to use an R2 unit with survey 123? Checking the above documentation a couple of times this year, I haven't seen that update as of yet. If not, is this still on the horizon?

Thank you for your time and assistance,

Kean

0Kudos
DanColbert
New Contributor III

Hi Kean,

We're currently working on an updated firmware release for the R2 that will enable it to work with Survey123. As soon as the firmware is available, I'll update this thread (and a few others).

Regards,
Dan

BrianneORourke
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

I am also very interested in the updated firmware release to enable the R2 to work with Survey123. Is there an estimated timeline for the firmware release?

Thank you,
Brianne

ahimsa26
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

Is there an update on the firmware release date that will enable the R2 receiver to work with Survey123 on IOS?

Mahalo

Judy

DanColbert
New Contributor III

Hello all who are following this thread. I'm happy to report that Trimble R2 FW 5.51 is live and now supports iOS connection to Survey123 (and QuickCapture)!

Please useTrimble Installation Managerto update your R2 with this latest FW update. Please also read through the accompanyingSupport Note, and if you're interested to read further details, theRelease Notesare also available.

Thank you for all of your support and patience.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi@DanColbert.谢谢你的update. We will add the R2 as now supported in the next online documentation updates for Survey123 and QuickCapture

KeanMcDermott
New Contributor II

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for your help with this. I'm having issues with connecting the R2 to Survey123 and was curious if there was any tip or trick that I'm missing. I have updated the Trimble unit to FW version 5.52. Survey123 is also at the latest version available in the app store. I can see the Trimble R2 in Survey123 when it is powered on and Bluetooth connected, however when selected as the location receiver it will not make the connection. I am able to connect the unit to Collector, Field Maps, Trimble GNSS Status, and Trimble Mobile Manager. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best, Kean

0Kudos
DanColbert
New Contributor III
Hello Kean,

It's likely that you need to reset the receiver before the FW update takes
effect for the iOS changes (I'm assuming that's the platform you're using).

Here is a detailed note outlining the procedure:

https://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-978090/Support%20Note%20-%20Trimble%20R2%20with...

Regards,
Dan
0Kudos